Pages

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Volendam NZ Christmas Cruise 2011 Part 2


Sunday 25 December 2011

Christmas Day I slept in until 8am. We are at Port Chalmers and I hope to get over to the Seaman’s Mission with some of the crew and use the internet and send this update. Being Christmas Day most places are closed in Dunedin and Port Chalmers so we have decided just to stay in the little port town. At brekkie I met up with Catherine the Chief Officer and she has invited Wayne and I up to the Bridge on the next sea day after Auckland. 
I went ashore for a walk but as everything was closed I headed to the Seaman’s Mission to use the internet. As one of the Princess ships was also in port so the mission was crowded with crew from both ships and the small wifi server crashed. I purchased internet time on the ship when I got back.
Christmas night was a formal dinner and we had a good table. I got to bed a bit after midnight and slept in to 9am. Boy oh boy I am sleeping very well on this cruise.   
(Photo of Wayne Joanna and myself Christmas drinks. Joanna is the Beverage Manager.)

Monday 26 December 2011

The day at sea was in perfect weather as we cruised up the East coast of the South Island of NZ. The highlight was going through the Cook Strait which was like a mill pond. We had dinner in the Lido after Happy hour and it was an early night to bed … well before midnight.

Tuesday 27 December 2011

I was up early for our arrival in New Plymouth. We were the first cruise ship to visit this port in the past 12 years. On going down the gang plank I was met by the Mayor, and the number of volunteer friendly guides they had to assist the passengers was a credit to the community. When I got to the Port gates I was met by Janice and Bryan (friends from my Prinsendam cruise to Europe last April) who gave me the royal tour of the city and surrounds. I was treated as a VIP and saw so much more of the points of interest than the folk doing the city tours. There is nothing better than to be given the guided tour by locals as I feel like a visitor and not a tourist. I hope Holland America include this port on the Itinerary of future cruises as this region has so much to offer. The local folk were so friendly and very proud to show off their city with many volunteering to be information officers and guides for the day to assist the cruise passengers make the most of their visit.





Bryan Janice & Myself at lunch
Other 2 photos taken in Pukekura park

I really enjoyed Pukekura Park as we wandered through this botanical wonderland with its lake and waterfall. It was so great to see so many locals and families enjoying these facilities on this public holiday. We had a beaut lunch at one of the nearby beach cafes, the salt and pepper squid was done to perfection.
I was back on the ship by 4pm and up in the Crows Nest for the sail away.  I had an informal dinner in the Lido and as I had missed my afternoon nanna nap I had an early night and had retired to the cabin by 9.30pm.

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Today we have arrived at Wellington on an overcast morning although the sun is trying to shine through. The city will live up to its windy reputation with wind gusts and showers predicted and a max temp of 18C.
I got free Wi-Fi today in the Seaman's Mission so I was be able to update my blog site.


The sun came out mid afternoon so it was a good sail away from Wellington. I didn't leave the port as the weather was not so good in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment