Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Walvis Bay Namibia to Belem Brazil

Walvis Bay Namibia to Belem Brazil









Wednesday 10 April 2013



Today is a sea day and I slept in and went up to brekkie about 8.45.

I joined Susan in her office (a table by the pool on the Lido deck) to catch up with emails and update the blog.

 I then downloaded Bellykissangel and Mrs Brown for Bill and Mary who had never heard of these 2 fantastic series.

After pre lunch drinks with Dick I had the usual stir fry for lunch and then adjourned to my cabin for a 3 hour nanna nap. Because of this long sleep I missed the early happy hour in the Crows nest.

We had a beaut time at our dinner table and Franz joined us so there were heaps of laughs.

I called it a night about midnight after a night cap in Larry’s bar.

Thursday 11 April 2013

I slept in again and we had already arrived in the port of Walvis Bay, Namibia by the time I went up to the Lido for brekkie. We had to do a ‘face to passport’ inspection by the local officials before we could leave the ship.

I went ashore with Alan and Manny and we caught the shuttle bus into the town. It was clean town on the side of the dessert. They had basic shopping facilities so after 20 minutes of walking around we got back on the shuttle and returned to the ship.

As a large German Biergartenfest party had been planned for the evening in the Lido pool area I decided I better have a nanna nap in order to be in top form for the evening.
OMG, what a great night we had and the pool area was transformed into a German beer garden.

I went up to the Crows Nest after the party and then adjourned down to Larry’s bar for a sing along around. There was a fun group there so I stayed for about an hour and went to bed about 11.30 pm.


Friday 12 April 2013

We are still in the port of Walvis Bay. It is very foggy outside and the max temp today is expected to reach 21C (70F). I will not bother going into the little today and will catch up with my paper work and try to work out how I will get my extra luggage home after the cruise. I must confess I have broken my first commandment ‘I will not buy any more clothes’.

I met Dick for pre lunch bloody Marys and then had the usual Caesar salad and a small stir fry at the bar.

I then went to a show put on by the local kids from the Fr. Bernhard Nordkamp Centre (BNC) which was set up for poor and orphaned kids to give them an education and at least one good meal a day.

Wow, these kids were just fantastic with their native songs and dances combined with their unique humour.  There wasn’t a dry eye at the end of the standing ovation by the guests. The kids were given shirts, caps and other goodies from the ship and the Cruise Director presented the Centre with a donation of $7,000.00 collected from the guests. The ship also made a very generous donation of fresh food stuffs, linen and other goods that would assist the Centre provide their excellent service and good works.
After fun pack dinner I called it an early night at 10 pm.

Saturday 13 April 2013

I was up to brekkie early after a beaut nights sleep. Judi came in and joined me just before I had finished so it was good to catch up with her.

After a shower and catching up on emails I went up to the Lido to hold court with Susan, Franz and the others that came and joined us. I drink lemonade at these meetings and at mid day I went over to join Dick for our pre lunch discussion and debates while I had my bloody Mary.

My Indonesian Anna Ko (Dian) got me the Creaser and the stir fry which I enjoyed at the bar.

After the nanna nap I made it up to the Crows Nest for the first Happy Hour as we were sailing into the setting sun. There was no green flash as there were to many clouds.
Then it was time to get ready for the formal night. My cabin guy came in and helped me get the studs organised and the bow tie sitting right. I felt like I was Lord Muck with my private valet getting me ready.

I don’t think I have told you about my new cabin attendant Beny. He is one of the best that HAL have. Nothing is a problem to him.

Dinner was great and we celebrated Susan’s birthday with the special cake and the boys singing happy birthday. Franz was the officer to host our table and the red wine was top shelf.

I went up to the Crows Nest for a night cap and called it an early night about 11.30 pm.

Sunday 14 April 2013

I slept in until 7.30 am and then got ready for brekkie in the Lido. It was great as I had the meal alone and was able to hold court with the kids.

Beny organised my washing and I took the opportunity to start packing the gear I will not use or need to use for the rest of the cruise. I will definitely need  to check in 3 bags for the trip home.

I spent the morning with Susan in her office out by the Lido pool, until it was time to go over to meet Dick for pre lunch drinks. I think you know what I did then, yes, that’s right, the Creaser and the stir fry I ate with Susan.

The Filipino crew show was held at 3pm and it was standing room only. What a great time to hold it instead of the usual 11pm after most of the old farts have gone to bed. The show went off very well with standing ovations from the crowd. It was such a boost for the kids as they put so much work and pride into presenting a glimpse of their culture.





I had a short nanna nap then I went to the Signature cocktail party before joining Susan, Franz, Russell, Lynda and Liz for dinner in the La Fontaine restaurant for a fun filled and most enjoyable meal.




The night concluded with a night cap at the Crows Nest. I made it to bed about mid night. Tomorrow we arrive at Jamestown, St. Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean.

Monday 15 April 2013
We arrived off St. Helena Island while I was having brekkie. Wow, what a rugged looking place with its high cliffs and tree less hills.

Saint Helena is a British Overseas Territory and one of the last relics of the colonies in the South Atlantic Ocean, 1900km west of Africa. The island is of volcanic origin.
It is a tender transfer to the shore today and they have told the scooter/wheelchair folk they can not go ashore as there many steps to climb up after getting off the tender. That made the transfer a lot easier.

Because of the tender transfers most of my Anna Ko could not go ashore because of the work schedules so I went over by myself.

On arrival I took a shuttle bus into the little historic town. It was a perfect sunny and fine day with the temps in the mid 20’s C. It didn’t take long to walk around the main street so I called into the Consulate Hotel to try a local beer. I met up with Dianne and Celia and found out the pub only had South African beer in bottles or cans.

OMG it was warm, yucky!  I only had the one and along came my good friends Bill and Mary Anne so they joined us and also had a beer. It was beaut to catch up with them as on this cruise they are not going to the Crows Nest like on the other cruise.

I had a look around then went to Anne’s Place in the gardens and met up with Liz and Marcel and I joined them for a beer there. It was a great place set on a large covered deck overlooking the gardens.








About 4 pm we caught the shuttle back to the tender dock and returned to the ship. St. Helena was a very nice and historic place to visit. It also was the place where Napoleon was imprisoned and died after he lost the war with the English.










Tuesday 16 April 2013

What a perfect calm day I woke up to. I did brekkie and then went down for a shower shave, etc. and then up to do emails sharing Susan’s office in the Lido.

Actually it was a very relaxing day just chatting and having heaps of laughs around the Lido pool. My Indonesian Anna Ko just get me lunch and don’t even ask me what I want anymore. Yep as I’m on a diet, well that’s my excuse; the stir fry and the Creaser has become standard sea day lunch menu for me. Well a growing boy must eat his greens as all my mummies out there keep reminding me.

I had a very long nanna nap and missed the early happy hour, so I had pre dinner drinks at Larry’s bar and then joined the gang for dinner.

Franz joined us for dinner so there was much fun and laughter and as what is becoming the norm these nights we are the last table to leave the dining room. After a few night caps in the Crows Nest I made it to bed about 12.45 am.


Wednesday 17 April 2013

It dawned another beautiful day with clear skies and a slight swell on the sea. Assention Island appeared on the horizon and it looked a bit like the Falkland Islands, very green which I was told was unusual as it mainly looks very dry and baron.
It was beaut to watch it getting closer as we approached whilst I was having my brekkie. There were some great looking beaches along parts of the coastline.

The tenders started at 9am and as usual there was the rush to get the tender tickets or the priority boarding for 4 star plus guests
.
 The Captain made an announcement that the swell was breaking over the little wharf (rock break water) and folk were warned they will get their feet wet getting off the tender.
I changed to shorts and just wore deck shoes so I could take them off for the landing. I thought I would wait a while to let the pushy ‘Old farts’ off first. I watched another episode of Mrs Brown to fill in the time.

The ‘Old Man’ then made another announcement advising that it was too dangerous to get the passengers off the tenders as the swell had increased. He had recalled the tenders in the interests of safety for the passengers and crew so no one would be going ashore. Also there was a big risk the tenders would be damaged if the transfers were to go ahead.

As I have said on other cruises I always agree with the Captains decisions when it comes to safety and I support him. Well you should have heard the complaints from some of the grumpy old farts; most of them are the non drinkers and were requesting free drinks to make up for their disappointment.

Our mob all met at Susan’s office in the Lido and we had a great time as the ship did a special circumnavigation of the Island. Even Dick came over and joined us and we had to take over more tables as the numbers increased. Most us stayed on and had lunch. It was Pete’s birthday so that was an excuse for more drinks.

Some of the local folk had come on board selling postcards, stamps and t-shirts etc.  As I was to take my body guard Anna Ko Alan to lunch on the Island, I told him I would get him a t-shirt instead. Well there was only a limited supply in a big cardboard box and the old fart ladies were in a shopping frenzy. I crawled in on my hands and knees and got the only XL T-shirt for Alan but missed out on a L for myself. They then only had S and M sizes left.

 The locals had only bought over a limited supply for the oldies that couldn’t do the tender transfer not knowing that the tenders were cancelled and nobody would be going to the Island.

I was talking to one of the officers who went over on the first tender to set up, and he told me the waves were wetting him up to his waist. So good call Captain in cancelling the tender transfers.

About 3pm I went down for a nanna nap and didn’t wake up until 5.30 pm so that was a beaut sleep. Of course by now I had missed the early Happy Hour so I will be in trouble with Dick.

I went up to the first half of the 7 pm Crows Nest happy hour and then went to catch up with Larry before dinner. Boy oh boy we had a great dinner and Franz joined us for coffee. It was a pity Judi missed it as she was hob knobbing at the Pinnacle Grill.  As usual we were the last table to leave. The Crows Nest was the next stop for night caps. Tonight is a bit of a bonus as we have to turn the clocks back an hour, and that justifies the later night. Well in Lar Lar land that is a good reason.

***
Thursday 18 April 2013

We start the next 3 days at sea as we cross the Atlantic heading to Brazil so I slept in until 7.30 am. I went up to brekkie at 8.30 am as there was no satellite internet signal.
Barbara’s talk on the first Brazilian port was very good so I’m looking forward to seeing Port Fortaleza.

I then joined Susan at the office before lunch. Met up with Dick for the pre lunch drink, and then joined the office mob for lunch.

At 2.15 I took some beer up to Pete’s veranda for belated birthday drinks. I always enjoy drinks with Pete. Then a 2hour nanna nap before Larry’s bar for pre dinner drinks.
At dinner there were only four of the ladies and me as the others had gone to the Pinnacle Grill.

With Susan I went up to the Crows Nest for a night cap. I even had a jive with the beautiful young Dianne (A bar attendant from the Ocean Bar) who popped in to the Crows Nest.

I called it a night about 11.30 pm. We had to put the clock back another hour so now the time on the ship is 12 hours behind Queensland time.

Friday 19 April 2013

It was another very warm calm sea day and actually a bit of a repeat of yesterday with ‘Susan’s office gang’, lunch, drinks and nanna nap.

We had the Carnival Night Ball and formal dinner so I got dressed up in coat and tails borrowed from one of the drink waiters. It was such a fun night both at dinner and at the ball.
Franz was the officer hosting our table at dinner so the table was very lively with heaps of laughter.

 I even had a couple of dances at the ball which was held in the Queens Lounge. Then we adjourned up to the Crows nest where we put on a surprise birthday for Sir Raymond the assistant Bar Manager.

I think I will let the photos tell the stories of the evening.
We had to put our clocks back another hour as we head west towards Brazil so now we are 13 hours behind Queensland time.

***
Saturday 20 April 2012

Another perfect sea day greeted me as I went up for brekkie at the Lido to hold court with the kids.

I bought a day tour for our visit in a few days time to Belem as the port is an hour from the city and as we have to go by tender along the Amazon River to get to the shore to board the shuttle bus. I thought it would be the safest way to go as it would be very hard for my body guards (my Anna Ko) to get that length of time off work to travel with me. Belem is a high crime area we have been advised.

Then I sat with Susan in the office and watched the movie ‘Life of Pi’ up to the time to meet Dick for our pre lunch discussions.

After lunch we all went to the Indonesian Crew Show held in the Queens lounge. There was standing room only and this very talented crew proudly put on a fantastic show to standing ovations. It is certainly much better to put these crew shows on in the afternoon as the theatre is filled.

I finished watching the movie then went up to the early happy hour to witness a fantastic sunset.

As I didn’t feel hungry I decided to have a quiet night in my cabin and had a room service Creaser Salad before an early night.

Tomorrow we arrive at Fortalesa, Brazil. 

Sunday 21 April 2013

From the Lido whilst having brekkie I could see this next port city of Fortaleza, Brazil was going to be huge with all the sky scrapers stretching for miles along the coastline. We docked in a commercial port area which was not very attractive or clean.

I met up with Susan and arranged to meet the body guards (the Anna Ko) at the gangway. When we got to the shuttle bus they would not let the crew on and give the old farts preference. Most of us did not agree as the crew only have limited time ashore.

Anyway Susan and I were on the bus and it filled so the boys had to come on a later shuttle. We were dropped of at an old jail that had been turned into a craft market with ‘girlie’ type crafts like lace table cloths etc.  The crafts were very expensive so we decided we would walk the couple of blocks down to the Central Markets as that is where we arranged to meet the boys. Susan and I met Linda (one of our table mates) and invited her to walk down with us.

We felt very safe and at no time were we bothered by petty crims as we were warned to be on the lookout for.

OMG the markets were 3 stories high and very crowded as it was Sunday and all the main shops were closed. We were soaking wet with perspiration after our walk in the heat when we arrived.

I only wanted to buy some World Cup t shirts for my nephews, my brother and myself however they were not available in the markets not even fake copies. Not long after walking around we were startled by the calls of ‘Papa Ko, Papa Ko’ and sure enough a group of Anna Ko had spotted us from a distance away so we met up. The boys were very excited as they had bought some special brand of thongs (flip flops) for their wives and kids.

A friendly young policeman in full battle gear told us where we could find a place to have a nice cold beer in the markets. Unfortunately time had run out for the boys and they had to get back to the ship for work. The girls and I stayed on and enjoyed the icy cold beer.

We were just about to have our 2nd beer and surprise, surprise, in walked Franz and he joined us. He had run into the boys on their way back to the shuttle bus so they told him where to find us.

As I said it was an extremely hot and humid day however where we were having our drinks there was a nice sea cool breeze.

All good things must come to an end so we had to venture out into the heat to return to the ship.

The sail away party was beaut with the city as the back drop as we departed the port.

Yes, I know you know what happened next, that’s right, I had a 3 hour nanna nap.

After an enjoyable dinner, Liz, Susan and I went up to the Crows Nest for a night cap.

There was this normally prim and proper lady and she must have had 2 or 3 too many drinks and she was putting on a floor show, and not even the waiters were safe as she wanted to dance with everyone and anyone. She was even pole dancing at one stage. I think she will have a huge headache and will feel most embarrassed in the morning.

I called it a night about 11.30pm.

****
Monday 22 April 2013

Today was a sleep in sea day so I had a late brekkie at the Lido before going to the talk on Devil’s Island where we will visit in a few days time.

Then it was off to the office to hold court before meeting up with Dick for our usual pre lunch debates. I had a good 3 hours nanna nap in the arvo.

There were only 5 of us at the table for dinner which was most enjoyable and full of fun.

I don’t know if I have told you about the ‘3 undertakers’ that sit near our table. Well there are a older gay couple and one of their fathers and if they ever cracked a smile it would be a miracle. With there serious faces they sometimes glare at our table when they hear the laughter from our table.

Our friend Russell has hurt his back and gave me his ticket for the day tour of Belem, Brazil. I was already booked so I asked the bar managers (Willie and Raymond) if my bodyguard Alan could have the time off to use the ticket. They gave permission so Susan, Linda and I will have our own bodyguard for the tour. It is not often that crew are able to join guests on the tours so many thanks to Willie and Raymond for approving our request.

I only had the one night cap in the Crows Nest as I wanted an early night as the tour tomorrow starts at 8 am.

Tuesday 23 April 2013

I had room service brekkie in order to save time in getting ready to be in the Queens Lounge by 7.45 am the meeting point for the tour.








We were taken by local ferries from the ship across the Amazon River to the landing and jetty. The ferry would not have met the marine safety regulations of Australia, as we were seated on stackable plastic chairs; also I noted ther were nowhere enough life jackets and if so I doubted if they would be of any good. Anyway we arrived on the river bank 30 minutes later safely.

In our group there was Linda and Susan from our dinner table and we had arranged for Alan (Anna Ko, bodyguard) to take Russell’s ticket and come with us.

The coach was top notch and very comfortable for the hours drive into Belem.

We visited the large Ver-O-Peso Market first which was very interesting strung out along the river bank. Then a bit of a city sights tour before going to the Forte do Castelo also on the river. Next visit was to the Brasilia of Our Lady of Nazareth and it coincided with the mid day mass which was very moving and the singing was modern and fantastic.

We ended up at the tropical zoo which was very good and the most entertaining part of the visit was watching fornicating turtles putting on a show.







Susan bought us a beer which was very refreshing however it was now after 2 pm and we had not had any lunch so our tummies were rumbling.

Alan and I had a sleep on the return bus ride and then we checked out some of the little stalls near the jetty. I was able to get rid of the last of my local money.

When we got back to the ship Alan only had time to shower get a quick bite and report for work. He enjoyed his day as being a ‘guest’ as it was the first time he had ever done a tour from the ship. He was great company and the girls and I certainly felt safe with him as our bodyguard. Although at no time did I not feel safe as police were everywhere.







The evening was an early one as we were all a bit tired after our long day out in the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment