Pages

Saturday 27 October 2012

Aussie Roo BBQ at Sir Pat's Place for the Ms Volendam crew



Saturday 27 October

Today I had the pleasure and honour of hosting a barbecue for some of the crew of the Ms Volendam as it was in Cairns as part circumnavigation cruise of Australia.


Because on rosters and work commitments it is a logistics exercise to choose a time during the day when the maximum number of crew can attend, with the result that over a four-hour period taxis were arriving and departing my residence when the crew for the barbecue.







As I had only left the Ms Volendam last Sunday in Sydney I have promised the crew I would host an Aussie kangaroo barbecue for them when they arrive in Cairns.






What a great time we had, it was fantastic to see these hard-working blokes and sheilas relaxing and making themselves at home in what for them is a foreign country. It was only a shame that they all couldn't be here at the one time and of course some could not attend because of work commitments. Some of the guys took advantage to use my wifi to Skype their families in their home countries. 

I also invited Terry and Helen who also departed the ship last Sunday in Sydney. They live in Kurrimine beach which is 90 mins drive south of Cairns.






I was pleased my good friend Peder the bar manager could also attend and I thank him for ensuring the maximum number of his staff could attend because of the way the rosters were managed.

The gods were kind and it was a perfect warm sunny Cairns day, and the guests enjoyed the kangaroo meat on a barbecue.



It was always sad to say goodbye to each group as they left to return to the ship. Who knows I hopefully will meet up with them again on another Holland America cruise.




2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you in a few months time Pat. Op for des nest Tuesday so then when he gets clearance cairns here we come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every best wish for the Op and looking forward to meeting you in Cairns.
      This arvo a few mates are helping me take down the large canopy over the Court Yard as we prepare for the attack of TC Ita tomorrow.

      Delete