Pages

Thursday 6 October 2011

The Melbourne Trip Part 3

Tues 4 Oct 2011

After Brekkie it was off to the Sunbury train station to catch the train to Bendigo for the day. It is Senior’s week in Victoria and rail travel is free so what a beaut opportunity to visit this historic gold mining town. My sister Liz and her husband Bob were already on the train and had a seat waiting for me as they had joined the train in the city.



It was a pleasant rail trip and took a bit over an hour. The bonus for the day was the sun was out and it was a little warmer than it had been. I was able to take off my jacket for the 1 klm walk into the city centre. We boarded an historic old restored tram (trolley car) and went on a city sights tour and as seniors we only had to pay $6.50 for the hours ride.













 This was a great way to see the main attractions and get a lesson on the history of Bendigo.

Because of the large number of Chinese descendants from the gold rush days we thought it would be good to have Chinese food for lunch but we could not find a Chinese restaurant open so we went into an Irish Pub and had seafood. 




Yes, I did have a Guinness.

After lunch we did a walkabout and then headed back to the train station for the return trip to Sunbury.
 Liz and Bob were also staying at Frances’s overnight as we went out to my nephew Matt’s place for dinner as this was my last night in Melbourne. Matt and Theonni served up an excellent dinner and it was another perfect family gathering. About 10pm we left to go back to Frances’s house after what had been a long and enjoyable day.
Wed 5 Oct 2011
The alarm woke me at 5.30 am to get ready and pack for the airport. Frances go up early and drove me so we arrived at the Melbourne airport about 7.30 am so we beat the bulk of the traffic and it gave me time to have brekkie in the Qantas Club before the 9.05am direct flight to Cairns.

I’m pleased we did this as the Qantas Club was not so crowded and I was able to get brekkie and read the papers without rushing. The flight home was good as I had a window seat (5A) and there was nobody in the middle seat (5B) so heaps of room.
The temp in Melbourne was 10C when I left so it was beaut to arrive back in Cairns at lunchtime to a warm 28C.

No comments:

Post a Comment