Pages

Wednesday 10 August 2016

The Ms Eurodam Birthday Cruise July 2016

The Ms Eurodam Birthday Cruise July 2016

Thursday 14 July 2016

My friend Graham drove me to the airport at 11.30 am so I had heaps of time for check-in and relaxing with a light lunch in the Qantas Club before the flight to Melbourne.

The 3 hour flight went very as the lady beside me and I compared travel stories and various places we had visited around the world. It was a relaxing flight as I was seated in 4A with plenty of legroom as it is the row behind Business class.



The transfer from the Domestic Terminal 1 to the International Terminal in Melbourne went smoothly and the Security process was swift and efficient. The Qantas Business Lounge was my home for the next 5 hours before my flight to London via Dubai.

The lounge was nice and quiet for the first 3 hours but then filled up with folks catching the various international flights departing after 7.30 pm. My flight didn’t leave until 11.30pm.


I had a beaut seat upstairs in the small economy compartment that only has 30 seats.

Friday 15 July 2015

After a late dinner I managed to get in a few hours sleep on the 14 hour flight to Dubai. I watched a few movies and dosed on and off before it was daylight and we were arriving in Dubai.


 I went up to the Emirates Business Lounge to freshen up and have a light brekkie during the short 90 minute stop over.

The flight from Dubai I was lucky to get in a few hours sleep and watch a movie before we landed in Heathrow London. As you know I don’t have much time for Heathrow and it is so unorganised and chaotic.

I managed the transfer from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and didn’t lose my cool with the inefficient security procedures that took over an hour to go through. 






Then I as a Qantas Club member not allowed to use the BA Lounge. I paid to use the facilities of the Aspire VIP Lounge which was comfortable But nothing to write home about. You even had to go out into the public areas to use the bathroom. I had a 5 hour stop over at Heathrow.

I met a nice lady to have a chat with and she even bought me back a G&T every time she would go up to the Bar so that helped the time fly by a lot faster. Then I noticed my flight was delayed and so was hers. After she went for her flight I had a battle keeping awake. I would have had a shower but this lounge wanted 20 pounds extra, which I thought was outrageous.



Finally my flight came up on the screen and to my surprise I had to change to the B section of terminal 3. This change encountered what seemed like a 5 mile walk, many escalators, a train ride and then more walking. I finally made it to gate B44 and confirmed I was at the correct gate for my departure and was told yes but due to the late arrival of the aircraft. It would be a while before boarding. At least I could now relax and the 15 minutes extra wait was not a problem.

I think I was asleep in my seat even before the plane had taken off and an hour later I was awaken to  be asked if I would like refreshments. The ginger ale went down well as well as the very small chicken roll. Then I went back to sleep.

Saturday 16 July 2015

I awoke to the PA announcement that we were about to land in Venice in 15 minutes and the arrival time at the terminal would be 12.30am.

The arrival procedures were very swift and I was outside in the line waiting for a cab by 1 am.

I arrived at the hotel by 1.15 am and OMG it was so great to have a long hot shower. I then checked my emails to find many friends and family were letting me know about their concerns about my travel Turkey because of the coup. Of course I had no Idea about this was all about as it had only happened hours before. Another email from Holland America advised that at this stage the proposed Turkish ports had been substituted with Greek ports, so I guess we will be safe.

I finally got to bed about 2.30 am and had 7 hours beautiful sleep and not even having to get up once during that time was a bonus.





 I made it to the dining room just in time to get some brekkie before the 10 am closing. Back in the room I caught up on the news and made a few Viber calls to family and friends so by 1.30pm I went back to bed for a nanna nap which ended up being a 4 hour sleep. So as you can see it has been a very restful day in Venice.











The sunset was not until about 8.45pm and I had dinner in the hotel. I settled for a hamburger and a glass of red wine for dinner while tuned into Macca’s ‘Australia All Over’. Maybe with the troubles in Nice and Turkey I felt a little homesick for the Lucky Country Australia.

When I returned back to my room I tuned into my friend Joe Harrington on ICMR broadcasting from Ireland. I enjoyed Joe’s show for a few hours and unfortunately could not see from my hotel window the huge fireworks display for the festival here in Venice.

I called it a night about midnight.



Sunday 17 July 2016

Bright eyed and bushy tailed I awoke to a perfect morning about 5.30 am and it was already brilliant  sunshine outside.

I took advantage of not having to rush so I caught up on emails and made some Viber calls before going down to brekkie in the dining room. I had a pleasurable brekkie and the croissants were so fresh and still warm as they must have just come out of the oven. I did have a few hiccups with the coffee machine as all the buttons were in Italian. What I thought was going to be a white (milk) coffee turned out to be a hot milk, I settled for a cappuccino to be on the safe side.

I checked out from the hotel at 11.45 am and left by cab for the Cruise terminal a 15 minute drive and the traffic was very light. The process of handing in the luggage and getting into the terminal was very swift and efficient. 




My friend Alex from the UK was waiting for me so I took him in through the 5 star priority boarding area. From when I got out of the taxi to boarding the ship would have only taken 15 minutes so I was impressed.

After checking out the cabin I met up with Alex and we went up to the welcome back drinks up in the Crows Nest. Well this is when the fun started as Peder the Beverage Manager was there to meet us and had arranged for a Bloody Mary to be waiting for me. Peder and I have been on the same ships many times in the past but we hadn’t seen each other for over the last four years.







It was also great to catch up with Andrew the Asst BM, Marvin and Edsal barmen from previous cruises. Well if I thought Peder was going to let me get away with I was mistaken. After about the 3rd excellent Bloody Mary made by Edsal I took Alex down to the Seaview Bar so we could get some Pizza. The Papaku Pizza is now on the menu of the ship after I gave instructions how to make it. As usual it was yummy.

About 4ish I went down to unpack and get some clothes off to the laundry. It was warm and sunny out on my veranda so I took advantage and got about 20 minutes sun.

I didn’t have time for a nanna nap as I had to get ready to meet Alex in the Ocean Bar (OB). Simon the Cruise Director is a nice chap and is British. He came over and had a chat with us.
Then it was off to the Dining Room to be seated at the Papaku Table by the window. It is a table for 4 so it means Alex and I can invite other folk to join us now and then.

Well the service was excellent and Mark the Culinary Manager joined us for a catch up chat and he organised our wine for the night. I had the chilled pear soup and the pork chops which was a great choice.

I took Alex for a quick tour of the Tamarind restaurant and it was great to be recognised by some of the girls that remembered me from 2 years ago on this ship. 

I called it a night virtually shortly after dinner and was in bed by 10.30 pm. (yes that’s right, NO night caps).

Monday 18 July 2916

It was about 5.30 am when I woke up after having a night mare that I had left my Passport in my shirt pocket that I sent to the Laundry. Shock and horror I bounded out of bed to check and could not find it at first. OMG instant stress as I searched everywhere and luckily found it in the safe and was hard to see with the black cover of the passport on the black carpet on the floor of the safe.

What a relief, I was then able to get on with getting this travel news up to date and the photos downloaded.

I met with Alex for brekkie in the dining room and guess what I enjoyed my Croissants with vegemite which has become a Papaku on board custom.

On the way back to my cabin I called into the housekeeping managers office and asked the friendly officer if it was possible to have a chair in my cabin as it was very uncomfortable sitting on a low stool to do the computer work. No Problem at all and a chair was delivered before I got back to the cabin.

The front office supplied me with the following information you may find interesting:-
There are only 8 Five Star Mariners, 48 four star, and 139 three star and the rest are 2 or 1 star. The ship has 2273 pax from 47 nations and the main nationalities represented are:-
Yanks USA           748
Canadian             293
Dutch                   283
Aussies                 249
Poms (Brits)        171
The other 42 nations are represented by smaller numbers.

After brekkie we went ashore and got a shuttle bus to the water taxi for the trip into St Mark’s Square. It was great seeing the city from the water.

We spent a few hours exploring the city and the alleyways which meant crossing many little bridges with gondolas passing underneath. It was a very warm day so we found a nice but crowded place to have a cool drink.
















About mid-day we made our way back to the ship for a late lunch. I had a chicken burger from the Dive-in and a Bloody Mary at the Lido bar. We were joined by Peder and his new wife who is onboard with him. Andrew very kindly ordered our burgers and arranged for one of the staff to pick them up for us when the buzzer went off. There is nothing like getting spoilt and looked after

At 3pm we had the compulsory boat drill and it was very hot on the sunny Port side of the ship. While waiting for the drill to start the life boat commander came up me and asked me for my room number so he could cross me off then told me to go into the Ocean Bar lounge to listen to the Captain’s  instructions so I would be more comfortable. I noted I was joined by about a dozen other ‘old’ folk. Anyhow I appreciated being in the air-conditioned lounge sitting in comfort.

For the sail away I invited Alex up to my veranda and as on the Port side had a fantastic view of Venice as we made our way out to the open sea.









I then enjoyed a well earnt nanna nap before getting ready for pre-dinner drinks even though missing out on happy hour.

We joined Edsal up in the Crows Nest for the drinks before going to dinner. Dinner was a fun time experience and we have become great friends with our friendly waiters who give excellent service.

Mark dropped in and arranged our wine for the meal which was greatly appreciated.

Peder joined us in the Crows Nest for a night cap and this was a funny time with Peder and I teasing each other. Alex and I were the last to leave the bar about 12.30 am.

Tuesday 19 July 2016

Today is a sea day as we sail towards Sarande Albania as part of the amended itinerary. It is a beautiful calm sunny day with an expected max temp of 28C (82F).

We had a late brekkie at 9 ish then went to the talk on the ports to be visited on the amended itinerary. I had a Guinness late morning and decided I was still full from the big brekkie that I would have an early nanna nap.

I met up with Alex and we did Happy Hour in the Crows Nest.
The Tamarind was the venue for dinner and this my favourite dining place on board we had an excellent meal with heaps of laughs. 



Andrew took us into the Silk Den bar for a night cap.


Wednesday 20 July 2016

I met Alex for an early brekkie as we were doing a tour in Sarande, Albania and it was a tender port.

We did the Saranda, Lekuresi Castle and Blue Eye National Park tour which took us out into the country side. I was surprised to note how dry and dusty the countryside was. The roads certainly need a lot of work and maintenance as it was a rough ride to get to the Blue Eye springs. 




There were a total of 18 very deep and cold natural fresh water springs in this national Park.







Then we were off to visit the Lekuresi castle located 1800 feet above the city of Saranda and gave us  fantastic views of the region.

The evening ended up having a late night  of and didn’t get to bed until 1 am.

Thursday 21 July 2016

Today we arrived at the Port of Katakolon the place for visiting the ancient Olympia and as I have been here a few times I decided to have a rest day on board the ship.

I had a sleep in and a late brekkie up in the Lido. It was nice to sit out on the veranda and get some sun.

I enjoyed a long 4 hour nanna nap before going up to Happy Hour.

For dinner I had a chilled berry soup and fried chicken, OMG the chicken was to die for, move over KFC this was delicious.




The plan was then to have 2 night caps in the Crows Nest and have an early night. 



Yes well we were hijacked by the beverage management team and summoned down to the Gallery bar and I finally escaped just after 1.30am

Friday 22 July 2016

After the late night I enjoyed a sleep in and had a late brekkie at 8.45am. Alex and I made our plans for going ashore in Athens and doing the hop on hop off bus tour.

As I had a few days here last year I only went on the bus for the ride and refresh old memories of the city. The traffic congestion slowed the bus down as we made our way around the city sights. 






OMG it was so hot upstairs on the open top deck we had to make our way downstairs to the lower air-conditioned cabin. Although this move restricted the view the escape from the heat was well worth it.

I made it back to the ship just after 2.30pm and just had a snack from the Dive-inn and a few glasses of water to replenish the fluid lost in perspiration. Then a quick nanna nap before Happy Hour. 

The Happy Hour was very quiet as many of the guests were still ashore and others were at the Greek BBQ on the rear lido deck.
Dinner was a great time and the waiters had made us some paper dogs named Papaku and Alex for the table.

I called it an early night and sneaked up to bed just on 10.30pm.

Saturday 23 July 2016

We were advised today the itinerary has been revised and we will now be in Santorini for the birthday on the 25th which will be great.
Today we are visiting Mykonos and it’s a tender transfer to the town.

After the short tender ride we walked around and took some photos before finding a beaut place to have a Frappe (Greek Iced Coffee). 









The free wifi was a bonus and the people watching was excellent. After another walk around the waterfront shops I made it back to the ship.

A Papaku pizza was an excellent late lunch before a nanna nap.

Happy hour was a bit quiet as many folk were still ashore as all aboard was at 5.30 pm.

At 7.30 pm I had to go to the VIP function in the Crows Nest before dinner.

Dinner was the usual fun filled time and the roast turkey was excellent. After dinner we had a few night caps back at the Crows Nest.

I made it to bed about 12.30 am.

Sunday 24 July 2016

After a leisure able Brekkie in the dining room it was to get ready for another perfect day  in Greece and today we are visiting Rhodes.




Andrew the Asst Beverage Manager came with Alex and I for a look around and have some lunch.

 As we all had been to this fantastic port before we just had a walk around and went to our favourite outdoor Garden restaurant to have a drink as it was a very warm and sunny day.



Then it was up to the top of the Old Town to the Castle of the Knights of the Ancient Masters Museum. After an hour or so of gaining all this culture we headed down to our friendly eating place to sit out under the vines and have lunch. I will let the photos do the talking.
















We made it back to the ship about 3.30 pm after a walk along the waterfront outside the old city wall.

There was only a quick time to freshen up before Happy hour. We decided we would go to the Tamarind for dinner.

We had an excellent meal with friendly service and it is always a pleasure to go to the Tamarind for a relaxing and enjoyable meal.

I decided after dinner to make it an early night and was in bed before 10.30 pm.

Friday 25 July 2016
My first phone call was Alex singing Happy Birthday to me and also to confirm our time for brekkie.

Brekkie consisted of Special K with Yogurt and croissants with vegemite. The picture perfect setting of Santorini was in the background with the cliff top white houses looking like snow in the rays of the early morning sun.  After brekkie Alex presented me with a few gifts for my birthday which came as a pleasant surprise.










We went over to Santorini by a local tender vessel and this transfer went very smoothly with no lines or waiting time. We were lucky as there was only a couple of other smaller ships visiting the island today so the crowds were not to large.

There were no waiting for the cable car to get up the cliff top town of Fira. First up we found a great restaurant to have coffee and use the free wifi to catch up with the outside world by checking Facebook and emails.

The views from this clifftop venue were fantastic contrasting the white buildings with the blue of the sea and the clear sky. I will let the photos do the talking.
We then went on a walk through the narrow lanes of Fira looking in on some of the shops as we passed by. We found a beaut open air restaurant with great views for lunch. I had fried calamari and it was delicious.

Then we started to make our way back to the cable car for the return trip to the ship. As on the way over there were no lines or waiting periods for the tender or the cable car.

I got a huge surprise to find my cabin door covered with Happy Birthday balloons so many that it was difficult to find the slot for the key card to open the door. Fortunately a tall Dutch guy was passing and he assisted me to open the door and then we both exclaimed OH MY GOD as the room was of filled with balloons.












 They were pilled about 3 feet high on the bed and the floor was covered with them.

Showing the folk at the Crows Nest Happy Hour the photos of all the balloons was the cause of much laughter. I’m sure that without the photos folk would have thought I was exaggerating the situation.

Peder and Mark took us to the Tamarind for dinner, what an experience that was and the 2 officers were perfect hosts and the service was fun filled excellent. 


We were the last table to leave and then adjourned down to the Gallery bar for a night cap or 3. It ended up being a late night, but what a way to celebrate the 67th.

 
Tuesday 26 July 2016

Well let me tell you this kid was very tired and only sparking on about 2.5 cylinders when he woke up and had a light brekkie.

I decided to have a rest day and went back to bed for the morning. I met up with Alex for a chicken burger for a late lunch as he had returned back to the ship from the morning in Crete.

Later in the afternoon before going to Happy Hour I had a frustrating time with the extremely slow internet on this ship. The worst internet service I have experienced on any of the ships in recent years and it now looks like I have lost 95 minutes as it would not log off.

I had a fun time up at Happy Hour but would you believe a Kiwi bloke was sitting in the Papaku bar stool. All the regulars were waiting with baited breath to see how I would react. I just totally ignored the Kiwi and sat on another stool. Mr Kiwi only stayed for one drink so I quickly regained my normal logistical position to a great round of applause from the regulars.

Dinner was in the dining room and the boys were very busy as everyone seemed to turn up for open seating at 8pm. Folk were still waiting to be seated at 9.45 pm we left the dining room. Thank goodness I have the Papaku table reserved for 8.15 so we were able to jump the queue and go straight to the table.
I called it an early night and was in bed by 10 pm.



Wednesday 27 July 2016

After brekkie I started the process of getting things ready for packing as we were not arriving at the port of Argostoli until 12 noon.
One of my wheels on my large suitcase was damaged when it arrived on the ship so I asked for some superglue and gloves so I could fix it up. No way was my mate Peder or housekeeping were going to let me loose with superglue so Housekeeping managed to take the case and would fix it for me. Of course I had no objections to this.

Just after 12.30 pm Alex and I set off on foot to explore Argostoli. It was unlike the majority of the other Greek ports and seemed very modern in its infrastructure and buildings.





After walking along the waterfront for a while we found a friendly sidewalk café with free wifi, so we decided to call in and have another great Frappe (Greek Iced Coffee) and take advantage of the internet and make some Viber calls.

The waterfront views were very scenic and we were impressed how crystal clear the water was and some locals were even swimming. Like most Europeans the locals are not body self-conscious like Aussies and Yanks so the big fat and ugly were having a great time with the slim trim and terrific beautiful people which was great to see and watch.

After a few hours I made it back to the ship while Alex went off to do some shopping. It was a hot walk back to the ship and required a change of clothes and a shower before I went up to Happy hour.

Happy hour was the usual great fun and it’s a pity on a short cruise folk take so long to relax and get to know the others at the bar. The regulars sitting in ‘their’ barstools consisted of Aussies, Poms, Dutch and Yanks. The regular other Aussie was Phil a good guy travelling with his wife and family and on most afternoons he would get a leave pass for Happy hour.

Over the last few days the noise levels have increased as there was now much more interaction amongst the regulars and everyone seemed to be enjoying their new found friends.

We had dinner in the dining room and had a fun filled meal with our waiters who keep presenting us with new paper animals each night. It was obvious they enjoyed waiting on the Papaku table as they could relax and have fun with us but still giving us excellent service.

After dinner we met up with Peder, Mark and Andrew for a night cap that turned into 2 or 3 nightcaps.

I called it a night a bit after midnight.

Thursday 28 July 2016

Today is the last day of the cruise and a sea day so that provided time to do the packing. I only had a light brekkie as this morning there was the Mariners brunch and presentation.

I as the senior Mariner on the cruise was presented a platinum medallion for having over 700 days at sea. It was a bit late in being given to me as I now have 950 days at sea.

After the brunch I finished my packing and had a short nanna nap before Happy Hour. Oh yes housekeeping had done a splendid job of fixing the wheel on my port (suit case).

I love my sea days as I have a chance to recharge the batteries and relax.

I think many folk were still packing as the last Happy Hour was a bit quiet. Phil the Aussie was there and has by now become good friends with Alex and myself. 

Then all the sad goodbyes and all the hugs and kisses had to be made when our new friends left the bar. It is always sad to say goodbye to the bar staff, esp Edsal and Edgar who had looked after us so well over the past 12 days.

After getting ready for dinner we decided to have a pre-dinner drink in the Silk Den and Mark joined us for a short while.

Dinner in the dining room was great but sad to say goodbye to our food and wine waiters who had given us excellent service whilst we were on board.

As it is now a custom I head straight for my cabin after dinner on the last night as there is nothing worse than trying to travel long distances and dealing with the authorities with a hang-over the next day.

I was in bed by 11.pm and my suitcase outside the door.

Friday 29 July 2016

I awoke feeling alive and well and ready to take on the challengers that the long day would throw at me.

Alex and I had the last brekkie and Mark quickly joined us to say goodbye. 

After brekkie We went down to say goodbye to Peder and Andrew but as it was going to be a very busy day for then getting ready for the Gay charter they were not in the office.

They called our numbers earlier than advertised so it was a bit of a rush to leave the ship and go through the formalities of customs etc and get our luggage. Alex and I were doing the ships transfer to the airport with about 120 ‘Old pushie shovie’ Europeans and Americans. Well you should have seen the circus when only 2 coaches arrived. OMG the old girls knew how to use those walking sticks as weapons of mass destruction.  

Blind Freddie could see all these folk were going to fit on the 2 coaches with all the luggage. With the fear of being trampled to death Alex and I decided to wait until they got extra coaches to take the rest of us. About 15 minutes after the 2 coaches left for the airport another 2 coaches arrived to take the rest of us. So with no Hustle and bustle we boarded our coaches that had plenty of room to spread out in.

So now we had noted we had left the 5 star service of the ship for slack Italian shore service, but the Marco Polo airport was a mess and the check-in counters were undermanned. I was in the line for 55 minutes just to check-in my luggage and get my boarding pass.




Then I had to say good bye to Alex as he could not check in his luggage for another 2 hours so that stuffed up the idea of me going to the BA Lounge with him until my flight was called.

They took us by busses out to the aircraft and that’s where more fun begun as we sat on the aircraft for 2hours 15 minutes as the baggage handlers were on some sort of go slow protest.
Finally we arrived at London Heathrow 2 hours late so many had now missed their connections and the atmosphere on the aircraft was not very happy.

Fortunately I had heaps of time to make my connection to terminal 3. 

After going through security I headed for the BA lounge and was told I couldn’t come in as I was only economy class. So I set off tail between my legs to the public areas to fill in the time. Have I told you I hate Heathrow and British Airways,

At long last I made my way to the boarding area for my Qantas flight where I was given priority boarding so this uplifted my spirits. A nice young Pommie lady doctor was seated beside me as far as Dubai. We chatted for a while and after dinner decided to sleep.


Saturday 30 July 2016

It was great in Dubai to use the Emirates Business lounge to get some brekkie and clean my teeth and freshen up for the next long hall flight to Sydney.
I must be getting used to the long flights as I slept a lot and got up every now and then to stretch the legs and go down to have a cuppa tea and a chat with the flight attendants.


Sunday 31 July 2016

We arrived in Sydney to be met by a blood red sunrise and the temp was 12C so a lot cooler than what it had been in Greece.

The formalities of immigration and customs went very smoothly and I was very quickly transferred to the domestic terminal for the flight to Cairns.

It was beaut to have a shower shave and change clothes in the Qantas Club and feel human again. I had a light brekkie and before long it was time to board the last flight.


The 3 hour flight home from Sydney was slightly marred by the arrogant and rude Frenchman sitting next to me. He kept pushing my arm off the armrest and spilling over into my chair space. He was upset that the announcements were in English and not in French. The strange thing was he could speak English and seemed to understand it. He and his wife got up twice to go to the toilet which meant I had to get up to let them out. Of course there was no please or thank you and some of you know they got the Papaku stare ‘I am not amused’ a look that scares most people but not this rude man.

My friend Graham picked me up from the airport and we called into the supermarket to get some basic supplies on the way home.


It was great to finally be home as it was 39 hours since I flew out of Venice.

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Pat, it looks like you had a wonderful time, keep at it.

    ReplyDelete